Saturday 19 May 2012

American Idol - Never Close Our Eyes


Adam's third return to AI to perform was something that had been on the cards for quite some time and one that I'd really been looking forward to. When Adam's on the Idol stage, he's determined to give us an audiovisual feast, never failing to impress. Who can forget that swirling vortex of WWFM or the dark intimate set of Aftermath? I was very excited about what Adam would bring to the stage this time.

There have been some symmetries and full-circle moments with Adam on AI and this is another example. Not only does Adam physically resemble Elvis and his mannerisms,he mentored for Elvis week and now he performs on the same show as his daughter. Here's the performance:



NEON!!! Who the fuck would've thought that Adam in his sombre black glitterless phase would go for UV-glowing neon? It's in his earrings, on his nails and appears as accents on the band members' outfits. Trust him to make such a strong visual statement. Time to go clubbing! The colour makes him look very tanned. He completes the look with tight leather trousers, gloves and a grey jacket which I wonder if he's personally customised. He also has an evil Bond-villain little finger claw as jewellery. Behind him is a massive visual of Adam's eye. It must be Adam's eye because of the iris markings circling his pupil and the separate dot below it. Not that I'm obsessive or anything. I think overall, the graphics with flashing lights and smoke, along with the zooming in the editing make the video too busy for my liking.

The opening chorus is shortened probably so that the producers can fit more adverts into the allotted time. A fierce Adam prowls the stage, working it with his fun dancing and shoulder-shimmying and engaging with the band. I'm sure he's dying to thrust his crotch around when he sings this song but knows much better. He sings it flawlessly with a powerful and rich rock vocal despite some wobbly jaw moments. The backing singers sound great if a little loud on the high notes, but they guarantee that the sound is never thin. He ends with an unexpected long run, reminiscent of many performances on that stage. He looks like he's having so much fun on stage which in turn makes him an absolute joy to watch. He leaves me with warm fuzzy feeling of pride.

After the end of the song, we see Adam revert to his non-performer persona, lighting up the room with his cherubic smile and modest demeanour. I'm a little disappointed there isn't a short interview seeing as we can't get enough of him saying words, but I really liked the performance. The lasting impression I have is that he has used the Idol stage to re-brand himself from glam rocker to clubber for this Trespassing era, a transition he has made effortlessly with style while remaining true to himself.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe it's only people who saw him on American Idol who have ever thought of him as a "rocker". I came in late so I just thought he was always a club dude - FYE seemed clubby to me, as did IIHY. Plus my frenetic research once I discovered this gem uncovered his Digital Glitter days which he seemed to get much more out of than his brief association with TCV. So, yeah for me this isn't really a huge transition. The funky style is different tho - and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the AI producers wanted to portray him as a rocker when they aired Bohemian Rhapsody and not Rock With You for his audition. FYE is still more rock than clubby to me though.

      Delete
  2. Pan(of Thrace) 5/20/2012 1:27PM
    Rock lovers have known that Adam isn't an authentic rock singer ; he CAN sing "pillars" of rock music , WWL in Moscow where his voice "doubling" the guitar is crazy , only D.Gilmour could produce such perfection in Wish You Were Here , or the same WLL in Fantasy Springs.
    P.Abdul created the trend , she called him a 'ROCK GOD" , being ,I suppose, under the spell of his renditions. Adam , speaking with admiration about F.Mercury, he being chosen by Brian and Roger to front the band deepened the confusion. The first 3 MVs , the GNT gave us a hint of the direction he wanted to follow, Glam Pop. Adam has chosen pop/electro pop, funk(which is great) and is trying to enter a market already crammed with more or less talented/auto-tuned singers . I can only hope that he and his label will make the best choices for the future releases, that they will invest aggressively not moderately in him . He is the best on the market. I like more and more his live performances of Trespassing and Kickin' In.
    Of course , we can hear some rock here and there , as you , Lambosessed , has mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think his voice is still rock in essence, just the production is electro/pop. I love that because to me it's his biggest selling point.

      Delete
  3. Pan(of Thrace) 5/20/2012
    Oops, have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this performance on AI. He just seemed so darn happy to be there and perform. Many have commented, and you can see it if you still have the video of the judges after his performance, that Steven Tyler says "perfect". Quite a compliment coming from a rock legend. Adam just keeps getting better and better and I think the band and backup singers are a perfect fit. Brings extra dimension to his performance to have live singers. Looks like Adam has a #1 (according to Billboard) and I'm thrilled!! Couldn't happen to a more deserving and brilliant man.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so happy that he achieved the top spot. He worked very hard to get there and I'm so proud.

      Delete